national_guard_heyward_fr.jpg (62171 bytes) national_guard_heyward_towe.jpg (73335 bytes)  national_guard_heyward_st_o.jpg (73192 bytes) national_guard_heyward_st_s.jpg (62935 bytes)
national_guard_heyward_st.jpg (62035 bytes) national_guard_heyward_s2.jpg (35304 bytes) national_guard_heyward_sign.jpg (29370 bytes) national_guard_heyward_clos.jpg (36094 bytes)
national_guard_heyward_cann.jpg (60448 bytes)
New York State Armoury on Heyward Street A.D. 1883

national_guard_heyward_stor.jpg (66985 bytes)
Across the Street from the Armoury

cops2.jpg (60847 bytes) cop_panorama.jpg (48092 bytes) police_station.jpg (65894 bytes)
cops5.jpg (65874 bytes) cops4_front.jpg (69456 bytes) cops3.jpg (77630 bytes)
This seemingly abandoned police station 65 is off Prospect Place and East New York Ave.

police_pig_school2.jpg (65474 bytes) police_pig_school.jpg (84926 bytes) police_old.jpg (72176 bytes) police_old2.jpg (75165 bytes)  

police_oldnite_do_over.jpg (70098 bytes)
This strange lifeless Police Academy is on Chauncey Street near Broadway
next to the more modern Police Precinct I don't know what

ng_signal_corp3.jpg (48144 bytes) ng_signal_corp2.jpg (63647 bytes) ng_signal_corp.jpg (64757 bytes)
Second Company Signal Corp 1909

  battalion1.jpg (70321 bytes) battalion2.jpg (60329 bytes)
Main Support Battalion - Base of the Rainbow
Bedford Avenue and Union Street

 police_athletic_league.jpg (64223 bytes)
Police Athletic League

 police_wilson_delkalb.jpg (70673 bytes)
Wilson Avenue and Delkalb Ave

police_park_place_washinton_ave.jpg (78502 bytes)
Park Place and Washington Avenue

armoury_shelter.jpg (40986 bytes)
Atlantic Avenue

firehouse_decatur_central_1896.jpg (73142 bytes)

On December 20, 1895, the Fire Department completed the purchase of a lot from Mary L. Mintonge for $2,400.00. The lot located on Central Avenue near Van Voorhis (now Decatur) Street measured 25 feet in the front and 100 feet deep. A new fire company for Bushwick known as Engine 52 would be placed in service in a new three story house once it was finished. On May 20, 1896, the Brooklyn Eagle newspaper reported the competition in building the new firehouse as being stiff with many contractors picking up plans. The new house would be the first of its kind in Brooklyn, with a roof top garden for the firemen to chill between alarms. Most of the contractors wanted to be the first to build this house with a garden that would be copied throughout the Country. The winning contractor was Leonard Brothers and he built the house for $16,947. Phat.
Brooklyn placed Engine 52 and Chemical Engine 1 in service on April 1, 1897. Chemical Engine 1 was placed in service in its house on Driggs Street. The new house on Central Avenue took up the whole lot, 25 x 100 feet. The first floor had room for the apparatus and stalls for five horses in the rear. The second floor contained two dormitories, the front one is for the Foreman and is also the office for the company. The second dormitory contains the beds and lockers for the rest of the crew. The third floor which is smaller than the second would be turn into a club house for the men while on duty. The garden would be on the roof of the second floor with poles for the shade awnings. The front exterior had red bricks with sandstone ornamental decorations.
After thirty six years of use the firehouse on Central Avenue was remodeled with both Engine 252 and Division 15 moving to Engine 233 on February 14, 1933. The City spent $10,000.00 for the remodeling of the building. Both companies moved back on April 19, 1933.

fire_ladder_120.jpg (49982 bytes) fire_235.jpg (27246 bytes) firehouse_ralph.jpg (52384 bytes)
firehouse_290_103.jpg (66578 bytes) firedept_bush.jpg (33857 bytes)  fire_235_2.jpg (55728 bytes)
The last Firehouse is at Decatur Avenue and Central Avenue

During the 1970's several areas of the City were hit with arson fires including Bushwick.
Many of these fires were set in vacant buildings and spread to occupied structures. 
Most of these buildings were heavy timber construction and brick, and had fire 
on several floors upon arrival. One of these fires was on July 18, 1977 - Engine 252 
was third due. Box 767 sounded that day for a fire in a five story vacant building.
It took a fifth alarm assignment and a borough call to Manhattan to control this fire.
When it was over 32 buildings would be destroyed. Two days later a third alarm was
sounded for box 793 for a five story vacant factory building. This trend would continue
until the mid 1980's.

  fire_comm_plaque.jpg (67294 bytes) fire_comm.jpg (41527 bytes)



Email Lost Brooklyn Trips
LBT is sponsored by Gazeebo2