Weeksville Houses (1840-1883): 1698-1708 Bergen Street 
(aka: Hunterfly Road Houses)

stuyversant_preservre.jpg (76657 bytes) stuyversant_preservre_house.jpg (48024 bytes) stuyversant_preservre_kings.jpg (29670 bytes) stuyversant_preservre_sign.jpg (61491 bytes)
1827 The Village of Williamsburg is incorporated within the Town of Bushwick.
Slavery is abolished in New York State.  Weeksville is settled by free African Americans.

birthday.gif (16803 bytes)  
birdseye.jpg (15707 bytes)

An aerial perspective of the Historic Hunterfly Road Houses.
This bird's eye view shows the path of old Hunterfly Road (white broken line).

Bedford-Stuyvesant is one of Brooklyn's oldest neighborhoods, comprising two different 
historic communities: Bedford and Stuyvesant Heights. Bedford was originally a Dutch
hamlet established in 1663. The free black community of Weeksville thrived in the area
 well before the abolition of slavery in New York State in 1827.

The Bridge Street African Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church (273 Stuyvesant Avenue)
 is one of the oldest African-American churches in Brooklyn, dating from 1818. The pre-Civil
War era Siloam Presbyterian Church (260 Jefferson Avenue) was one of several stops in
Brooklyn for slaves fleeing north via the Underground Railroad.



Email Lost Brooklyn Trips
LBT is sponsored by Gazeebo22